Sophia is a Clinical Psychologist (endorsed by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency – AHPRA) with a Master of Psychology (MPsychol) degree from the University of New South Wales. She is a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) and the College of Clinical Psychologists. Sophia has extensive experience in: the administration of developmental, intellectual, and play-based assessments; cognitive behavioural therapy; as well as training in evidence-based parenting programmes effective in changing children’s behaviour, such as the Stepping Stones Triple P – Positive Parenting Program. Sophia has 30 years experience within the public sector in the assessment and management of children with various developmental and behavioural issues.
Sophia’s areas of expertise in assessing pre-school aged children under 6yo include:
- Conducting play-based, developmental, intellectual (IQ) and functional assessments;
- Diagnosis and assessment of children suspected or identified as having an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD);
- Diagnosis and assessment of children suspected or identified as having an intellectual disability;
- Assessing and supporting families with preschool age children;
- Comprehensive feedback of assessment results;
- Advice and support with school placement;
- Formulation of an individualised, comprehensive management plan;
- Consultation on behaviour difficulties and empowering families with knowledge and strategies to manage their child’s behaviour, learning, and development;
- Liaising with other health professionals and agencies such as Aspect, the Department of Education and Communities, Department of Health funded Diagnostic and Assessment Services, Aging Disability and Home Care (ADHC), and other government agencies.
Sophia uses a family focused model where the family’s needs are prioritised and evidence based practices are implemented. She believes in a trans-disciplinary approach where collaboration across various disciplines, services and organisations is encouraged. She is happy to conduct assessments within the home or school setting, liaise with preschools and schools to investigate learning and behavioural issues, and work together with others involved in the child’s intervention on the implementation of recommendations.
Sophia is the proud mother of a happy and caring teenage son.
Sophia Zervos – available for appointments on Thursdays and scheduled Saturdays (pre-school children aged less than 6 years).